On Friday evening, 22 January 2010, members of the National Capital Band (Bandmaster James B. Anderson) gathered in the chapel at Camp Happyland to begin recording a new Christmas album.
Under the expert supervision of Grammy-nominated engineer Phil Bulla, the band recorded twelve items, finishing on Saturday afternoon. Highlights of the recording include a new piece from the pen of principal euphonium Steve Kellner, Fanfare on “O Come, All Ye Faithful” and Robert Redhead’s classic suite The Joy of Christmas.
The full list of items recorded:
- Christmas Idyll (Kenneth Downie)
- Ding Dong Merrily on High (Douglas Court)
Euphonium solo, Steve Kellner, soloist
- Fanfare Jubiloso (James Curnow)
- Fanfare on “O Come, All Ye Faithful” (Steve Kellner)
- Feliz Navidad (Dorothy Gates)
- I Wonder As I Wander (Ray Bowes)
- The Joy of Christmas (Robert Redhead)
- Nowell (Andrew Mackereth)
- Season’s Greetings (James Anderson)
- Shepherds Surprise (Kenneth Downie)
- The Shining Star (Peter Graham)
- Stille, Stille, Stille (James Curnow)
Further information on the album, including a release date and information on advance orders, will be announced in the future.
The band would like to thank a number of players who helped out with the recording:
- Darryl Crossland
- Steve Sutton
- Dr. Bethany Mikles
- Bethany Hawley
- Dr. Richard Holz
- Dr.Tom Walker